The time to start preparing for the 2019 hurricane season is now! From May 31 through June 6, some hurricane supplies can be purchased tax-free in Florida. It’s part of the 2019 Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday.
The following items are exempt from sales tax during the holiday period:
Selling for $10 or less:
- Reusable ice (reusable ice packs)
Selling for $20 or less:
- Any portable self-powered light source (powered by battery, solar, hand-crank or gas)
Selling for $25 or less:
- Any gas or diesel fuel container, including LP gas and kerosene containers
Selling for $30 or less:
- Batteries, including rechargeable batteries, only these sizes:
- Coolers and ice chests (food storage; nonelectrical)
Selling for $50 or less:
- Bungee cords
- Ground anchor systems
- Radios (powered by battery, solar or hand-crank)
- Weather band
- Ratchet straps
- Tarpaulins (tarps)
- Tie-down kits
- Visqueen, plastic sheeting, plastic drop cloths and other flexible waterproof sheeting
Selling for $750 or less:
- Portable generators used to provide light or communications or to preserve food in the event of a power outage
The sales tax exemption does not apply to the rental or repair or any qualifying items. It also does not apply to sales in a theme park, entertainment complex, public lodging establishment or airport.
If qualifying items are sold in a set with non-qualifying items, the price of the set will be subject to sales tax.
*This information was provided by WFLA.